Total Pageviews

Wednesday 13 May 2015

Cindy Lorenz Not the breed for everyone! I've owned & fostered them for over 30yrs & have put down many that were unstable


May 12 at 6:43am
Thank you for adding me. I'm very concerned about the rise in dog attacks, especially the increase in fatal ones. I didn't fit in on another site for dangerous dogs, as I have owned Rottweilers & have fostered them in the past, but I do NOT approve of that breed being adopted out of shelters. They need to go to breed specific rescues that have the experience to evaluate them & the common sense to put them down if they are not safe to adopt out. I also believe they should be carefully regulated as with any other power breed. I don't however consider the Rott a bully breed. I see no reason for a breed that was bred for the purpose of killing other animals to be bred at all. I do know a few people who have them (and some are even relatives, but they are used for hog hunting, not family pets) I currently have 2 Heelers & a Border Collie (I just adopted out a Rott) I'm also very fond of Coonhounds. I'm a retired Postal employee & worked animal control right out of high school, so I have chased & been chased by dogs.
Like · 
  • Cindy LorenzNot the breed for everyone! I've owned & fostered them for over 30yrs & have put down many that were unstable. For a while, there were not that many in shelters & the few that I saw were being bred by ethical breeders who were breeding for good temperaments. I still have many friends that own them & I'm still a member of the national breed club. I'm very troubled by the new "no-kill" movement & the desire to save every dog that comes through a shelter. As this movement gains supporters (Nathan Winograds no kill revolution) every dog, no matter how unstable & dangerous will be released to the public. I'm also very against any dog being trained to be a guard dog!
  • Valerie Webber Hi Cindy, welcome to the group. I agree it is way too hard to find breed specific groups on here, most being all dangerous dogs or ones including too many other breeds. The problem is solutions to addressing problems with aggressive normal breeds of dogs are not the same as those needed to address Pit Bulls.
  • Cindy Lorenz Thanks Julie! I'll try not to get banned from this group. lol

No comments:

Post a Comment